Every 1i in a single address

Hello,

asuming some person has 1ti and the coordicide is done and this person would send 1i to 1x10^12 adresses just for fun. The money must not be lost for him if you generates addresses from generic seeds. So if that happens at possible 10k tps that would take him 27h for 1gi in a single thread. How would the new approach deal with >10^12 addresses and the resulting disk space? This will be reality as soon as 10^12 connected devices need some money to pay for whatever they need.
Even 10^9 adresses are too much for the average current IRI/hornet vps node with 50GB space or less. So someone can take down most of the node for a $150 investment + tx time.
( At least you will never need more disk space than for 2,7x10^15 addresses :wink: )

Thank you.

We call this a dust attack, and its a problem for all DLTs. Maybe we can solve this in part with sharding.

The rate control mechanism will help with this though. A very high mana holder should not be able to issue more than 100 tps, and thus can only make 10^9 transactions a year. Now one transaction can crete multiple addresses, but still, it would take considerable resources to spread funds out to over 10^9 addresses.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. If you play such games with your own money with the intent of making others’ life more difficult, then maybe you deserve to suffer some losses indeed?.. :thinking:

1 Like

Just to elaborate a bit (on a high level): IOTA is a collaborative system, “help the others and the others will help you”. If you are doing something that harms the network, are the others obliged to vet your transactions?..

1 Like

As like in a DDOS attack you just need enough nodes / bot network nodes for transmitting. This would be one way to get more throughput. But in the end there will be sooo many maschines that the dust attack is daily business.
“Number of connected IoT devices will surge to 125 billion by 2030”
All these devices plus processing in maschines for production and transportation will have 1 or more “wallets” / seeds. So we can asume 10^12 active addresses and not equally distributed over the planet. So we will see “shards” with high concentrations of addresses. My feeling is that this single information should have an own layer that is distributed as equally a possible over large regions. While the data layer can be very locally. Maybe layer is the wrong word, place of storage might fit better: a value node, a data node.
( But I am not as deep into this as you are and it is only an opinion :wink: )

… there will be sharding (a.k.a. slicing/atlas) :blush:

Of course, no system where all nodes have to verify all transactions can solve that sort of problem.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: and good luck with that :smiley:

1 Like